Saturday, August 30, 2014

Ikea Runnen Deck Tiles


I finally went ahead and purchased 4 boxes of the Ikea Runnen deckings to place on my balcony.  I was hoping they would go on sale but no such luck.  In fact, I was lucky to go back when I did because there were only a handful of boxes left at the Hicksville store.

For about 3 years I had the Vifah wood decking tile which I loved but unfortunately despite the bi-yearly maintenance the wood dulled to a whitish grey look and the plastic interlocking on the backside came off and basically crumbled.  Following are pictures of the Vifah tiles. Second picture was taken in 2008 (year of purchase)  first picture is from 2010.



You can really see how it had deteriorated.  Pity really because you see how BEAUTIFUL they looked  when the color was rich. Oh well.

I am really hoping that the Runnen tiles will stand-up to the elements better and last longer.  I will report back in about 3 months and let everyone know my thoughts & how they're holding up.

Let me know if you have any experience with these tiles or have any questions, I would love to hear from you.

Winkychoc

6 comments:

  1. I'm wondering how my dog would like these tiles. Any issues with paws getting stuck or pinched by the gaps between slats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry for the late reply. No, there has never been any incidents as you describe. The space between the slabs are substantial enough not to pinch yet small enough that a paw cannot get caught. let me know if you have any other questions that i can answer. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're right, that was a veyr long 3 months! I really apologize. These ( the ikea decks) held up excellent! It's been 1 1/2 year and i can honestly say they look the exact same as day one. Also the bottom of deck is holding up well, no chips or cracks. FYI, I recently saw deck tiles being sold in the seasonal section at Costco. They look very nice, also man made materials, is dark brown color though...You may wish to check it out. Thanks so much for leaving your comment.

      Delete